Sunday, March 8, 2015

Jamaica Adventures - Post #9

     Hello everyone! I have now been back in the States for a little over a week and man has it been busy here! 

     I have had 2 bridal showers, 2 doctors visits, a sleepover, an opportunity to look at our wedding venue for the ceremony and reception, and I have met with our wedding photographer. 

     I have acquired a marriage license, a bit of a cold, and a wonderful place to live now that I am living in Jackson, TN with a Beautiful family that has welcomed me with open arms. 

     I have been reunited with my best friend (for good this time!) and have started to look for job opportunities in the city that I will be living in for at least the next year. I have had time to reconnect with Adam, catch up on life, and do life together!

     I have nearly finished all of my work for the remainder of my time as a student at Ozark Christian College. I have driven onto the campus that was once my home and not felt sadness because I knew that a good time had come and gone and Ozark was not my home anymore. 
 
     I have texted and called Jamaica interns, pod mothers, and children that I miss dearly, but have not yet cried over. I have been able to see the smiling faces of those that I love who I met for a short time in that Beautiful country and heard their goofy, "Jenna's going to marry ME (not Adam)!" remarks and their, "Who is Jenna???" teasing. 

     I have to admit that though I was a little sad and dust kept getting into my eyes on the drive down the mountain in the back of that pick-up (which made it look like I was getting emotional! Taylor..we both know it really was dust..) and the wind was blowing so hard in my face that actual tears were being forced out of my eyes (Again...Taylor! That really is a thing, right?!), I was happy to come home. 

     Don't get me wrong! I love the Beautiful children, interns, pod mothers, and staff at Robin's Nest, but knowing that I would get to come home and live closer to Adam than I have ever been able to in my life was incredibly exciting! 

     I think it was easier to leave the Nest knowing that I will be back. Like I have said before, in 5 years, I have been to Jamaica 3 times. And! Now I have more connections than I ever did before! 

     I know people in Negril, Whitehouse, and Montego Bay! I have become acquainted with at least 3 children's homes in Jamaica and I have every intention (if God allows) to be back in Jamaica soon. Maybe not long term right now, and maybe never long term, but I will be back. I have promises to keep. 

     The kids absolutely MUST meet Adam. They've practically demanded it! They have to see my ring..my wedding pictures..living proof that Adam is real (for those older boys who think that I am somehow still on the market even though I am 13 years older than them and engaged!)

     I know that I have the freedom and ability to see the interns again when they return to America. I am not worried about our friendship remaining if we are active in maintaining it. 

     There are pod mothers that I may lose touch with, but many of them are friends of mine on facebook or whatsapp and some of them I keep in contact with on a fairly regular basis. 

     I have come to a place in my life where I am able to more readily "roll with the punches" that life brings. Jamaica has somewhat forced me to be more flexible and forgiving with my time. And I know that each new phase of life brings a sort of death along with it. 

     When I graduated from high school and moved on to college, high school Jenna died and would never be the same. With every new life, a death must come. It is good and healthy to grieve that death. Right now, I am no longer "Jenna on a 2 month internship in Jamaica," I am "Jenna preparing to be a wife, settling into a new city, and continuing to walk closer and closer to Christ daily." 

     In times of drastic change or grief, I do not bear the full weight of emotion right away. I think this is a gift that God has blessed me with. He knows full well that I am not able to handle the full weight of my emotions, so oftentimes I am allowed pockets of emotion in the midst of transitions. He decides that I am ready to grieve in the slightest bit, and He gives me just a small dose of emotion so I am able to more readily handle it. 

     I have not yet been given a pocket of emotion from this trip. I am sure beyond a shadow of a doubt that they will come. God is faithful and He has been teaching me how he made me more and more as the years go by. I am understanding how and why He created me and being able to see the Beauty in that creation. 

      Right now, I am only able to see the joy in being able to have had these past 2 months at the Nest and for that I am grateful. God is good. He has taught me much throughout my time in Jamaica, more than I could ever explain in a simple blogpost. 

      Thank you all so much for your support. Thank you for your prayers, your emails, your encouraging words. Thank you for reading. 

      I will continue to post on this blog as I had before my internship, but this is the last blog that will be solely focused on this particular adventure in my life. You are more than welcome to continue reading as I write. I will probably be infrequent now that I am entering a busy and exciting new story, but I will try my best to continue writing what God lays on my heart to share with you all. 

     God is good. His love endures forever. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers